Monday, August 13, 2012

Landscape Design Dilemma– Visual Clutter



Design Elements That Overwhelm


When I was gardening for clients, our Owner/designer of the company exclaimed one afternoon that the problem was ‘visual clutter’!  We had worked this small garden on several occasions, and then we would go back at the home owners request to tweak the beds once again.  The design was not coherent and seemed messy. 
I have been guilty of this phenomenon in my own garden.  Mainly because I started my fevered passion of gardening as a Plant Collector.  I had to have every plant on each trip to the garden center.  The Plant catalogs didn’t help either, with the endless gorgeous pictures staring back at me.  Without fail, I bought plants and THEN tried to figure out where to plop them into the garden.  If that didn’t pan out, we dug out another bed to accommodate the new residents. 
P6190064100_1005
In other words, we did not have a plan, unless you call planning to buy more, a plan.  We did not consider much more than if the plant needed sun or shade.  Even then, we took to plant to its limits – with minimal success. 
100_1003
This bed is example of what I call ‘visual clutter’.  Colors are all over there realm of cool to warm.  The individual plants are buried by others, so that none of them gets the respect it deserves. 
100_1013
This hosta bed is boring.  Similar colors – green – similar textures, and all of the plants are the same height.  Good landscape design should balance these features. 
100_1007
This section of the garden has some redeeming qualities.  The height of the Knockout© Rose in the back, and the  shorter hydrangea are more pleasing to the eye.  In the foreground, I have the perennial salvia and iris foliage. 
I like the white accent color of the hydrangea and it gives the eye a place to rest.  Too much going on can confuse and I, for one, am confused enough, and a calming restful color holds that key of peacefulness I seek in the garden. 
100_1012 
This bright spot of gold from the Black-eyed-Susan, Rudbeckia, Goldstrum, again offers a mess for the eye to focus on. 
Onesys, and twosys, just don’t stand up to the scrutiny of a visitor in the garden.  The landscape design really needs continuity and this is best achieved by planting in groups.  Odd numbers – three, five, or seven – go a long way in creating a cohesive garden. A garden that folks will remember – ‘oh, that bed of astilbes was gorgeous’, or ‘those hosta  looked so vibrant.’
imagesimages (2)

Restraint is not always easy, but I’m learning the art.  I think the garden will reward me with a calmness, and order that I seek. 
Are you a plant collector?  How do you achieve continuity in your garden?

11 comments:

Jayne said...

Oh dear - I'm guilty of this too. I see a plant I love the look of at the garden center, buy it and then get it home and wonder where on earth I'm going to put it!

Sunray Gardens said...

I am a plant collector with certain things and just continue to work at things looking good together.
Cher Sunray Gardens

gardeningnaturallywithclaudia.blogspot.com said...

I'm still a sucker for a new plant, and am just having to buy 3 now! You are designing your garden with a masters hand. Stay well.

gardeningnaturallywithclaudia.blogspot.com said...

Jayne, thanks for sharing your passion. I hope you enjoy your garden as much as I do mine - neat or messy - it's still a joy.

Dewi said...

De-clutter is my next project :)

gardeningnaturallywithclaudia.blogspot.com said...

Dewi - I hear ya! Gardens and life get too full, too fast. Hang in there. Claudia

Jordan Jackson said...

After 20 years, my garden is looking cluttered too. I took out some plants last winter, perhaps more this fall. Here is a link to a post I wrote about a public garden in Seattle with the same problem: http://www.metropolitangardens.com/2011/10/elisabeth-c-miller-botanical-garden.html Thanks for your comment.

Anonymous said...

I've been perennial gardening for about 25 years now. One of my "rules of thumb" is to think geometric:) Like you suggested above, odd numbers of a certain plant in a certain color in a triangular configuration is always pleasing to the eye, and makes your eye follow around the bed. Another "rule" is to contrast broad leaves against spiky, ferny against broad, contrast heights as well, and use shrubs,small trees, trellises or arbors for height. Only after those two "rules" do I consider what is blooming in what season:) I love my gardens:):):)

gardeningnaturallywithclaudia.blogspot.com said...

Anonymous - thanks for your insight -
I just need to stand back and regroup occasionally. Happy Gardening. Claudia

UK Garden Furniture said...

Usual outdoor landscape design dilemmas can be solved effectively by using the right garden furniture. Thanks for an informative post!

gardeningnaturallywithclaudia.blogspot.com said...

thanks UK Furniture - I agree and in fact use furniture and garden art to present a focal point in several beds. Thanks for stopping by. Claudia