Saturday, December 15, 2012

Garden Gifts are Blessings


Blessing #5 –  Gift of Music


No, I’m not going to sing for you.  That is not one of my talents!  But I do hear music as I roam about my garden.  As the grasses sway in the wind, or leaves rustle overhead, I sense music.  A rhythm and movement that you can only hear from Nature. A wonderful gift from the garden.
grasses swaying

wind in trees

raindrops-in-the-birdbath 41sTs-kcskL._AA160_ fountain


Listen to the drip-drip of raindrops in a birdbath, or a fountain – water is music to me. Splish – splash.
woodpecker
The music of a woodpecker off in a distant tree is a gift if we will just stop to listen. Tap-tap-tap – tap.

And even though they are made instruments, wind chimes use the breeze to create a lovely song. Every day – a different melody.  A gift of music.
windchime


I find myself humming songs when I wander out into my garden.  The morning coffee in hand, and still wearing my pj's, I am reminded of an old hymn.
 
I come to the garden alone, while the dew is still on the roses…..
dew on roses


Then the Roses are Red, my love, Violets are Blue…. comes to mind.   Bobby Vinton, I believe. 
blue violets


Build Me Up, Buttercup, by the Foundations (1968) is a sweet melody that reminds me of another time.

buttercup_flowers-t2
white daisy flowers pic

I’ll Give You a Daisy a Day, by Jud Strunk, (1973)

And I’m really telling my age with some of these – but I keep hearing A White Sports Coat and a Pink Carnation – by Marty Robbins, (1957).
pink carnation - music

The garden has inspired poets and song writers for generations, and music is another gift from the garden-  Blessing number 5.

2 comments:

Jason said...

This rings a bell for me. Bird song, woodpeckers tapping, water trickling in our little fountain ... that is all part of what makes the garden what it is.

Anonymous said...

beautiful, nature sounds. i dont think i'll miss the sound of the interstate highway.says martin